Wednesday, July 14, 2004

i don't know what to say... its just very... you

this was the comment i got from my classmates n friends who have read my essay. and to joel, no my blog clearly is not representative of girl problems. its bigger than that.

ever read a book which you can do more than relate to? a book which you feel is part of who you are and the way you view the world? no there is no cliched thing about reading a book that changed your life. but there are books and experiences which reinforce your world view, beliefs and values.

been reading "Faith of my fathers" by Senator John McCain. the book's about his life, and that of his father and grandfather in the United States Navy. somehow reading it, reinforces my never to be fulfilled desire of attending one of the service academies, wrestling with the highly disciplined & demanding physical and intellectual regime & living up the codes of honour and tradition. Its not enough to be smart and excel in grades, because in life its more than that. Its one of the rare instances where the lessons and values of life can be introduced and inculcated in an instituition.

Service Academies are not just colleges with a uniform dress code. Their purpose is to prepare you for one profession alone, and that profession's ultimate aspiration is a combat command.

The most important lesson I learned there was that to sustain my self-respect for a lifetime it would be necessary for me to have the honor of serving something greater than my self interest.

all too often,and this isn't a recent feeling. its a feeling i've had for years, i wish i was applying to Annapolis or West Point, instead of where i am applying to. I wish i could serve a order higher than my own self interest, fighting for the ideals of mankind. I wish i could fly Navy fighters off carrier decks in the Pacific, the Med or the Gulf. See the mountains of Afghanistan, the deserts of Iraq, the famed Khyber Pass. lead fellow soldiers- brothers in arms- in the dangerous act of combat. Caring for their welfare but at the same time understanding the common belief in dedication, commitment and honour to service.Few i know will understand how i feel The freedom of the skies,the vastness of the sea, the world at my feet. tim was right when he said the essay's very me - yes i am different. because unlike all of you aspiring towards the Ivy League n a corporate life, that happens to be my second choice. its true, i am just different from everyone around. its only as i grew up that i become more acutely aware of it. no its not a jock syndrome. my values are more extreme, my beliefs more steadfast than the many pragmatists around - that's the difference between you for whom everything above sounds out of this world, inpractical and even horrifying and me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home