Sunday, March 13, 2005

beyond the sea...into the future

being away from the army has given me the time to actually sit down and just think. not about how to survive the day, not about what's going to happen in the next few minutes/hours/days but in the years after i leave the service. this is just a chance for me to organize everything that's been swirling in my head for the past couple of days.

what's certain is i ain't going to apply for MTA anymore, or for any other scholarships for that matter. West Point is where i want to be, but going there on the MTA just isn't the right thing. i don't want a full time career in the SAF or the civil service. if i'd wanted a military career it would be to defend my country and stand up for the values i believe in. here i can't do both and my trust in my comrades in arms tells me that the nation is in safe hands any how.not that i won't answer a call to arms if it does happen. if they fight, i'll fight too. not for duty to country but for honour of friendship.

frankie once sang a song that went like this...
Start spreading the news, I’m leaving today
I want to be a part of it - new york, new york
These vagabond shoes, are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it - new york, new york


i don't know if its hollywood with shows like 13 going on 30, serendipity, Hitch and Friends which has New York as the setting filled with opportunities and affluence; the Statue of Liberty that stands a beacon of hope and opportunity in the harbour; weiming being there n thriving to an extent or the mere fact that i loved Manhatten when i walked down those crowded streets alone at the age 15 but that's just the place to be, the place where i want to be. sitting in my personal office on top of one of those skyscrapers overlooking the Hudson; living in a well furnished apartment with a view of the Statue and the harbour; dressed in an Emilio, Armani or Boss with the occasional Ralph Lauren; driving down the street in a porsche, ferrari or smtg. the list just won't end. but i can see it, a way out of my current "poverty". shuquan i still insist that i'm right, a combined monthly income of 10,000 ain't poverty but it sure as hell ain't rich.

I wanna wake up in a city, that doesn’t sleep
And find I’m king of the hill - top of the heap

These little town blues, are melting away
I’ll make a brand new start of it - in old new york
If I can make it there, I’ll make it anywhere
It’s up to you - new york, new york


what's Singapore as a place to work in compared to New York in terms of opportunities and all. yes, it is home. but home is a kind of feeling not a place so why can't someone have 2 homes? they think i'm a banana and sure as hell they're right. he's right too. if I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere - even back here. so there ain't anything holding me back. sis will prob. be studying over there; mum and dad chillin out in Toronto, and friends all over the world.

New york, new york
I want to wake up in a city, that never sleeps
And find I’m a number one top of the list, king of the hill
A number one

These little town blues, are melting away
I’m gonna make a brand new start of it - in old new york
And if I can make it there, I’m gonna make it anywhere

It up to you - new york new york


who doesn't want to be top dog? king of the hill? but the one who gets there is different. and i've always believed that there's something different bout me, i don't know how or why but i just know its there. a difference. i can be top dog if i work as hard as i can - with a brand new start to erase all the mistakes i've made here. i don't need any of their crummy enslavement plans, i don't want your money mum and dad - i want to take this giant leap for myself, risk and all.

so that's it. Plan A. Unchanged from the days it was drafted in 2002. freedom and democracy, opportunity, immense risk taking or stability, enslavement with a facade of prestige? i choose risk and freedom. its out there that my dreams lie, far out across the sea. just like the millions before me from every other part of the world.

2 Comments:

Blogger minli said...

hey stumbled on your blog haven't blog surfed in a long time

newyork you say?just wanted to say i feel the same way too and to send you my bestest regards
seems like i finished my two years losing contact with all the people in jc but so glad there's blogs or else people would be flying off and i wouldn't even know.

keep in touch alright?

11:10 AM  
Blogger minli said...

oh yes,by the way, i loved the underwear song:)

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home